Full-time for 3 years
in Quakenbrück, Germany
First Stage Researcher (R1)
Elea is a member of TRANSIT – an EU-funded project where 13 academic and non-academic organizations from 8 European countries cooperate in training young scientist and optimizing sustainable food processing techniques.
As the world-market leader in Pulsed Electric Field systems, Elea will offer training on application and equipment design. You will cooperate with other partners working on high hydrostatic pressure- HHP, ultrasound-US. and nonthermal plasma-NTP technology within the Marie Curie training mission coordinated by Wageningen University & Research.
Project title: Microbial assessment of PEF decontamination efficiency in food products, characterisation of impact of processing conditions, and optimisation and upscaling to industrial scale systems (ESR6)
As the project is funded within the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA), researchers can be of any nationality but need to demonstrate transnational mobility. To be eligible applicants must satisfy the requirements that apply to all Marie Skłodowska-Curie Early Stage Researchers, therefore on the date of appointment (their start date) applicants:
- must not have more than 4 years of research experience;
- must not hold a PhD;
- must not have resided or carried out their main activity (work or study) in the country where the post is based for more than 12 months in the previous 36 months;
- must be available to apply for a PhD at the University of Malta in September 2021 and must work exclusively for the project during the employment contract;
- must (soon) be in possession of their Master’s degree or equivalent/postgraduate degree to enrol in the Doctoral School of the University of Malta.
- should have an advanced level of English, i.e., 95 TOEFL iBT (a writing score of at least 24), 6.5 IELTS (a minimum of 6.0 in each element), or Advanced Cambridge (a pass at a Grade C)
We are looking for outstanding candidates with the ability to excel in research. The candidates must be eager to learn and gain new experiences, work in a dynamic and international environment.
- Food Science/Food Technology/Microbiology/Biotechnology or related background: you are holding a Master’s degree in Food Science and Technology, Biology (with experience in Microbiology). Familiarity with quantitative research methods in Food Microbiology and previous experience in report writing will be considered an asset.
- Networking and communication skills: you should have a goal-oriented and well-organized personality, you should have the capability to learn rapidly and sustainably, and you should have high proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of German language is beneficial
- Good communications and presentation skills
- A research project with high value: you will perform microbial assessments of Pulsed Electric Field (PEF) technology and decontamination efficiency in food products, and optimisation of process parameters to support upscaling to a pilot-scale system.
- Team and location: Elea Vertriebs- und Vermarktungsgesellschaft mbH is the world´s leading supplier of PEF (Pulsed Electric Field) systems and focuses on the development of new systems and on identifying new application areas. As such, Research and Development is of high value to the company. With a team of 20 people, new applications are established and together with the Engineering department the systems are continuously updated to the applications. Elea offers a young and dynamic working environment for a highly educated personal development. Due to our direct contact to the industry and the involvement in various research projects, a broad international network can be formed.
- Impact and internationality: you will interact with companies that are active all around the globe, including market leaders in major food industries.
- A full-time position for 3 years.
- A fully financed research project: Exact salary will be confirmed upon and will be based on a Living Allowance of €3270/month and mobility allowance of €600/month. Additionally, researchers may also qualify for a family allowance of €500/month depending on family situation. Taxation and Social Insurance contribution (including Pension) deductions based on National and company regulations will apply (refer to the Marie Curie Career development information).
- Applicants will be reviewed without regard to sex, race or nationality. Applications from female scientists and engineers and ethnic minorities are particularly encouraged;
- Applicants must fulfil the EC eligibility criteria set by the European Commission (see above);
- Important: to apply, send a 1-2 page CV (please specify your residence/workplace in the last 3 years), 1-page motivation letter (please mention the PROJECT TITLE and briefly address each skill as listed above, and address your research interest in relation to the research project), university transcripts (grades);
- All other formats and document content (e.g., longer CVs) will NOT BE CONSIDERED for the application process.
- By sending your CV, motivation letter and University transcripts, you agree that this information – while kept strictly confidential – will be processed and stored by Elea for the time span of the recruitment process;
- Include the names and contact information of up to two referees in your application; if possible add letters;
- Selection will be made through structured skill-based review evaluation from CV, motivation letter and grades. After selection for the shortlist, an (online) interview conducted by at least two people (if possible from the TRANSIT network) will follow. Additional information may be requested for the (online) interview;
- As there are multiple positions available in TRANSIT (transit-itn.com), applicants are advised to indicate whether they have applied to or plan to apply to other positions in this consortium.
In this ITN consortium, each recruited researcher will be seconded to other beneficiaries and/or to partner organisations for a duration of up to 30% of his/her recruitment period. For this project currently two secondments are planned: 2 months in Malta, as wells as 2 months in at the Project partner DIL e.V. in Germany. Also, attendance in off-site training events and meetings is expected. All travel is fully funded. Additional family allowance is provided if the applicant can provide evidence of eligibility (marriage (equivalent) and/or dependent children) at the beginning of the appointment.
Are you interested?
Send us your full application including name of the position and name of the project. We look forward to receiving your application!